Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What Grinds my Gears


For this week..what grinds my gears is about my professional life.

Some of you may know that I have just finished a very intense LPN program. It was a 10 month program, 5 days a week with very little breaks. I had clinicals 4 days a week and probably at least 3 tests a week. We studied various subjects at a time. At one time i was in a BSN program at a very good school, and I don't think it was as hard as this was. I just finished my tour in June and am now awaiting to take my state boards.

Now, what bothers me is the difference between LPN's and RN's. I know the differences, and I know the similarities. We learn the same stuff...maybe they learn it in a little more detail, but I learn a lot of detail myself. And I'm sorry, but i don't know of any RN programs that you have to learn all you need to know in 10 months 5 days an week ( 4 clinical days, 1 class day).

My beef is when people come up to me and say...so when are you gonna go for RN? Or they say...you are gonna continue, right? I mean...why can't I just get a congratulations without feeling like I'm still being belittled by people and their opinion's. I mean, i understand there are more job opportunities and more money to make becoming an RN, but that doesn't mean LPN's are of the lower class of nurses.

I worked very damn hard these past 10 months and I am so proud of myself. I am proud to call myself an LPN.

I do plan on continuing for my RN after the wedding. I want to do that because i want to work in labor and delivery, and because of the acuity of that kind of environment, they need RN's. Which is fine with me, because I will be working there one day. But i am NOT moving on in education because I think I need to or because i feel that the LPN role is inadequate...because it is anything but that.




2 comments:

Shockgrubz said...

Congratulations on that! I can't even imagine doing that much work.

Powdered Toast Man said...

I'm proud of you.